There are many things being done by the government, universities, private research and non-government organizations.
Some of these things include:
- Researching effects of environmental contaminants on the health of marine wildlife.
- Reducing releases of environmental contaminants in the environment through regulations and bylaws.
- Creating regulations and bylaws to stop the production of harmful environmental contaminants.
- Creating public and school education and outreach programs to help citizens find solutions or alternatives to minimize or prevent the release of contaminants.
- Identifying key environmental contaminants and their sources, and monitoring them in marine mammals (e.g. killer whales), seabirds, and other species.